When baking, people add eggs for thickening, leavening and emulsifying the pastry. (no mom, it’s not for their nutritional value, a Canadian study says that egg yolks are almost as bad for your carotid arteries as smoking.)
If you believe that going egg-free is better for you (if not convinced read below) here are some substitutes for eggs.
For 1 egg,
- 1/4 cup silken tofu (for brownies, pies, quiches)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds + 3 tablespoon water (for breads, cakes, muffins)
- 1/4 cup pureed banana (for brownies, breads, cakes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for cakes, cookies, muffins)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar + 1 teaspoon baking powder (for breads and cakes)
More on eggs:
- Most vegans misunderstand the concept of not eating eggs. Unfertilized organic raw egg has no life and they do not produce chemical that corresponds to emotions (like when an animal s slaughtered).
- Another Canadian study found that a single egg has three times the cholesterol of a McDonald’s Big Mac and egg yolk is “one of the worst diet offenders for people at risk for heart disease.“
- Eggs are a chickens period. Do I have to say more? Peta cranks me up, everytime.
- Eating eggs are not ethical in any way. In the industrial factories, when a chicken is a couple of days old, a large portion of each hen’s beak is cut off with a blade, without any painkillers. Most of the birds become unable to eat because of the pain, therefore they die from dehydration and collapsed immune systems. After these mutilations, hens are shoved into their cages (which is roughly 45 by 50 centimeters and hold five to ten hens (and each han has the wingspan of 81 centimeters. ) So without being able to even lift a single wing, they start fighting they urinate and defecate on each other Many die in the battle, and the survivors are forced to live with their dead cage mates. (Oh by the way, the male chicks are worthless to the egg industry, so millions of them get tossed into trash bags or get suffocated every year) After two years of living in these conditions, their egg production drops, hence they get shipped to the slaughterhouses where their fragile legs are forced into shackles and their throats are cut.
If you have the chance to buy local, organic and free range eggs, and you really want to have them in your diet, do so. Ellen DeGeneres considers herself a vegan for ethical reasons but she and her wife Portia de Rossi says “we have neighbors that have chickens, we get our eggs from those chickens, cause they’re happy, they’re really happy chickens“.
Oh, and, EGGSTERMINATE.
Because Doctor Who, that’s why.